Monday, March 2, 2009

Avarekai Sambar


I used to stay with my maternal uncle in Bangalore while i was doing my internship for MCA.My aunt used to make a variety of Maharashtrian and South Indian dishes , and one of her best is Avarekai sambar, yummmmmmmy. This being a seasonal lentil we (my uncle has two lovely daughters, younger one was a sweetheart) enjoyed the avarekai sambar only during the season, but here in US i got them in the frozen section.Avarekai is available in Indian stores under the name of Surti Papdi Lilva.

This is my entry for Susan's My Legume Love Affair and Ashwini's Lentils Mela.

Thank you Sia, i got to know about these two contests while going through your Kolhapuri Missal.


Ingredients:

  • 2 Cups Avarekai (boiled)
  • 1/2 cup grated coconut
  • 1 Large Onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp chilli powder
  • 2 Tbsp Sambar powder
  • 1 tsp oil

For the seasoning:

  • 3 tsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
  • A large pinch of Hing
  • Few Curry leaves
  • Chopped cilantro to garnish


Method:

  • Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions till they change color, cool and grind to a smooth paste along with grated coconut and tomatoes.
  • Transfer this in to a bowl and add some water to get desired consistency.
  • Bring to a boil and simmer, add salt, sambar powder and chilli powder and mix well.
  • Add the boiled Avarekai and cook on medium flame for 6-8 minutes
  • For the seasoning, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, when they start crackling add the cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves and pour it over the sambar.
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro and Serve hot with rice.

1 comment:

  1. Although I am not quite a novice at Indian cooking anymore, I have never heard of avarekai. Of course, I am very curious. Looks amazingly tasty!

    Thank you, Sree, for sharing your recipe for MLLA8!

    The round-up will be online in a few more days.

    ReplyDelete