Happy Birthday My Blog. :-)
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
- 1 Cup Moong Dal
- 1 tbsp Ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (grated)
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Corriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1" Cinnamon stick
- Few Curry leaves
- Chopped Cilantro
- lemon to serve.
- Soak the dal for an hour.Then pressure cook the dal for about 2-3 Whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the ginger , garlic & onion till they are soft.
- Add the tomatoes & cook till it disintegrates & all in all the spices except garam masala.
- Let this cook well for about 5 mins & then add the boiled lentils to this.
- Mix thoroughly & let it simmer on slow flame for about 10-15 mts.
- Now heat the ghee , once its hot add the dried red chillies & stir around till fragrant.
- Add the garam masala , curry leaves & instantly pour it into the dal.
- This will fill up the kitchen with wonderful aroma.Remove.
- Check for salt & squeeze the lime, garnish with chopped cilantro, some raw onions & serve hot with rotis.
Friday, January 29, 2010
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp water.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp garlic
- Microwave water for 10sec.The water should be luke warm.
- Add yeast, sugar and salt. Leave it for 10mins till the yeast forms a froth(gets activated).
- Now add all remaining ingredients and make it into a dough.Knead for 3-4mins.
- Cover with a cloth or plastic wrap and leave it in a warm place for about 2-3hrs till the dough doubles in volume.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Make balls from the dough and roll them. Do not make them too thick as they puff up when baked
- You can roll them a little thicker than chapathi/phulka but thinner than alu paratha.
- Apply a little butter on top. Line them on a lightly buttered cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 425F for about 7mins till they puff up.
- Take out, apply the garlic-butter mixture on the top and keep it in the oven again.
- Bake for another 5mins till the top looks brownish.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
For the Cake:
- 2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar (Confectioner's Sugar)
- 6 Eggs
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Pineapple Essence
For Filling & Frosting:
- 2 Cups heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Pine apple Chunks
For the Syrup:
- 2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp Pineapple essence
- Preheat oven to 300F.Lightly oil & flour the metal pan & set aside.
- Seperate the white from the yolks.Beat each separately adding pineapple extract & lil sugar at a time.
- The Whites should form stiff peaks & the yolks should be pale & thick.
- Slowly mix the beaten yolks into whites in a circular inward to outward motion. Do not beat or mix vigorously.
- Sift flour & baking powder twice & mix with the beaten eggs.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans.Bake for 20 mts till cake is done & springs back on touch or a toothpick come out clean when inserted.
- Let the pan cool for 10 mts& invert cake.let it cool completely before frosting.
- Chill the beater & bowl in which you will whip the cream.
- Whip cream while slowly adding sugar till cream is thick & stiff.(Do not overbeat , it turns to butter)
- Mix Sugar, essence & water in a bowl.Cut the cake into two equal halves.
- Place one cake & spoon the syrup all over the cake till it is moist (not till soggy)
- Spread an even layer of the cream, some pineapple chunks.Place the other cake on the top & again spoon some syrup over it like before.
- Spread an even & thick layer of cream on the top & decorate with the pine apple Chunks & cherries.
- Decorate the cake with the cream as per your imagination.Enjoy the pastry.
Happy New year Once again.