- 1 Cup Urad dal
- 1/4 cup Poha*
- 2 cups Idly ravva (usually dal and ravva are taken in 1:2 ratio)
- Soak Urad dal,poha together and idly ravva separately for 6-8 hours.
- Drain and grind the soaked urad dal to smooth batter to a medium tight consistency.
- Drain out all the water from the soaked idly ravva by squeezing it tightly and add to the batter and mix well.
- Leave this to ferment overnight or at least 8hrs.
- You can see an increase in the volume of the batter.
- Add salt as required and mix well.
- Put the batter in the idly plates and steam them for about 10-13 mts.(pierce a knife to check, if idly is not cooked completely batter will stick to the knife)
- Remove and leave it for a minute.Now run a spoon under each idly carefully to remove it from the idly plate.
- Serve hot with sambar, coconut chutnet or idly karam podi.
* Adding poha will give very soft idlies.
- 1 cup Fresh coconut, grated
- 1/4 cup Putnalu (roasted chick peas/dalia)
- 4-5 Green chillies
- 1/2 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 red chillies
- A pinch of Hing
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil.
- Grind coconut, putnalu, green chillies, tamarind pulp , salt and milk together to a very smooth paste.
- heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds & cumin seeds,when they start crackling add urad dal, red chillies, hing and curry leaves.
- When urad dal changes color pour this on the coconut chutney and Serve.