Pesarattu-Upma is by default a favourite among the Andhra people
Ingredients for Upma
- 1 cup Sooji
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tomato chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 5-6 Green chillies, chopped
- 1" Ginger, finely chopped
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp Ghee
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.When they start to crackle add urad dal,channa dal, cumin seeds and fry till dals change color.
- Add ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for a minute.
- Add the water,salt and bring to a boil.
- Simmer and add ravva slowly and stir continuously while adding ravva.
- Cover and cook for 2-3mts.Open and add the ghee and mix well.
- Serve hot with Pesarattu.
Ingredients for Pesarattu:
- 1 cup Whole Moong dal (green moong)
- 1/4 cup rice
- 1" piece ginger
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak moong dal and rice overnight or at least for 6 hrs.
- Grind together with ginger and green chillies to a fine batter adding some water.
- Add salt, cumin seeds and mix well.
- Heat tava on medium heat, when tava is hot pour some batter on it and spread it thin like dosa.
- Grease the corners with some oil and add chopped onions on the pesarattu.
- Once the edges have cooked and pesarattu changes color light brown, flip to the other side and press down with flat spatula to press down the sprinkled ingredients to stick to the pesarattu.
- Flip back and take off the pan to a plate. Cook rest of the batter in the same manner.
- Serve hot with Dalia chutney and upma.